Knob and Tube Wiring
Opting for an older home is a wise investment. Not only does have its own unique charm and character, with a little fixing up it can earn you a great return on investment. One of the most important systems that will have to be inspected, and possibly replaced, is the electrical system. When you have your home inspection, prior to the purchase and closing, this professional should be able to alert you to the fact if you have knob and tube wiring.
However, there have been instances when it slipped by the inspection. As soon as you find out you have this type of outdated electrical wiring system, it is time to make sure that you get it replaced.
In fact, you may be required to get this type of electrical wiring replaced just to be able to get homeowners insurance. Most insurance providers do not offer coverage for homes that still have knob and tube wiring, or the rates are so much higher it would make more sense to have a licensed electrician replace the wiring and save money on your insurance. Plus, you are going to want to take care of this just to be able to protect your home and your loved ones.
Replacing Knob & Tube Wiring in Ogden & the Surrounding Areas
If you are not yet familiar with this type of electrical wiring, or the dangers associated with it, here are some things that you should know:
- The main safety concern is because there is no ground wire in this outdated wiring system. That means shocks and fires are a common occurrence.
- Safety aside, outdated electrical wiring systems cannot keep up with today's high level of demand. This means you will constantly blow fuses and need to unplug one appliance to use another.
- The lack of ground wire makes it especially dangerous to use smaller appliances in the kitchen or bathroom. In fact, it is why we specifically have GFCI outlets in kitchens and bathrooms now.
- The sheathing used for insulation which disintegrates fairly easily over time. Without insulation, your home or business is at higher risk of fires.
There are other reasons why this is not an ideal or safe wiring system to rely on, in this day and age. However, knowing any one of these is enough to get motivated to make the switch.
The Right Electrician to Take Care of Your Knob & Tube Wiring in Ogden
Now all you need to know is the name to call on to get this service executed in a prompt and professional manner – Synergy Electric. For over a decade now, we have been the local leading electrical contractor for this type of task. Give us a call today to find out more about what we have to offer you in terms of home rewiring and electrical services in Ogden and the surrounding areas.
If you would like an estimate for replacing knob and tube wiring in Ogden or the surrounding areas, please call 801-866-0186 or complete our online request form.
- How to Make Outdoor Lighting Work For You - Outdoor lighting options, such as landscape lighting or even security lighting, can do so much for your home. In fact, more than you probably even realize. Everyone knows this is an ideal way to add curb appeal and safety, but, as important as those are, there is more to outdoor lighting in Ogden than that … Read More
- What You Don't Know About Your Electrical Wiring Could Hurt You - When you bought your house, the home inspection was supposed to catch anything that could be a red flag. If any of those potential problems listed involved electrical work, you need to make sure that you are taking it seriously, especially if those problems are with the electrical wiring … Read More